Monday, December 15, 2014

Communion

(Pathways Two)

Communion frightened me.
I felt not worthy of such a gift.

The invitation to table, called.
I stayed in my seat.

I once heard a voice in my head.
"I understand why you feel this way but you are more than welcome in my house."

These were real words.
Not something overheard or imagined.

Real.
There was no one there, but there was.

Still, I stayed in my seat.
The obstinate child afraid of the change already coming within.

Months pass.
Seasons change.

The invitation to table, called.
The seat never cools down because I do not rise.

After service.
A friend listens to me as I talk about all this stuff.

As we talk she hands me a vanilla cream cookie.
My mind draws a conclusion.

No words this time just a thought:
"Do this in memory of me.."

I eat the cookie as tears come to my eyes.
Leaving my friend perplexed.

Communion doesn't frighten me anymore.

K.J.K.  09/14/2014

No comments: